18 Wheeler Accidents and How a Lawyer Can Help With Compensation
Large trucks, or 18-wheelers, can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. That’s why when they are involved in an accident, the damage and injuries which occur are often catastrophic. If you’ve been injured in an 18-wheeler accident, you may require medical attention and experience a great deal of physical and mental suffering. In such conditions, it is virtually impossible to deal with insurance companies without the help of an 18-wheeler accident lawyer.
Common Causes of 18 Wheeler Accidents
Large trucks, such as 18-wheelers, commonly carry heavy loads such as lumber, building materials, and hazardous materials. Drivers of these trucks are often under immense pressure to deliver goods on time, which can cause them to be fatigued, impatient, and careless while driving.
18-wheelers must adhere to strict regulations regarding safety and maintenance, but unfortunately, this is only sometimes the case. Common causes of 18-wheeler accidents include:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Poor maintenance
- Lack of proper training
- Driver fatigue or overworking drivers
- Bad weather conditions
- Poor road conditions
- Distracted driving
Common Injuries in 18-Wheeler Accidents
The kinds of injuries that result from 18-wheeler accidents can be severe and even fatal. Victims of 18-wheeler accidents may suffer from the following:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal organ damage
- Psychological trauma
If you or someone you love has been injured in an 18-wheeler accident or is a truck driver who suffered an injury on the job, an 18-wheeler accident lawyer may be able to help you receive compensation.
How Accident Lawyers Can Help
Having clouded judgment and an inability to focus directly from an 18-wheeler accident can make it difficult for victims to make decisions about their cases. Thus, having someone to represent you in court and handle communications with insurance companies is crucial. To give you a more complete idea of what an 18-wheeler accident lawyer can do for you, here are some of the services they can provide:
- Review 18-wheeler and trucking regulations: There are different regulations 18-wheelers and trucking companies must follow. An 18-wheeler accident lawyer can review these regulations to determine if any were violated, which may mean you are eligible for additional compensation.
- Investigate the 18-wheeler accident: 18-wheeler accident lawyers have extensive knowledge of trucking regulations and experience in investigating 18-wheeler accidents. They can examine evidence at the scene to determine how the 18-wheeler accident occurred.
- Gather evidence to support your case: If you are a worker injured in an 18-wheeler accident, accident lawyers can collect evidence to help you get the compensation the liable party owes you. This includes documenting medical bills and expenses and interviewing witnesses who may have seen the accident occur.
- Negotiate with Insurance companies for a fair settlement: An accident lawyer can also negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. This can be anything from negotiating a fair settlement to fighting for maximum compensation.
- Take legal action, if necessary: In cases where the liable party refuses to pay or the insurance company offers an inadequate settlement, your accident lawyer may recommend filing a lawsuit. They will also be able to represent you in court and fight for justice on your behalf.
- Help injured workers find the appropriate medical care and rehabilitation: An accident lawyers network includes medical professionals and rehabilitation clinics. They can also help you find the care you need to recover from accident injuries.
- Advise business owners on 18-wheeler safety protocols: Finally, accident lawyers can provide business owners with advice and guidance on creating and enforcing safety protocols for their 18-wheelers. This includes training drivers, ensuring driver compliance with regulations, properly maintaining the 18-wheelers, and more.
The Bottom Line
18-wheeler accidents can be highly complicated and involve a lot of variables, not to mention complex regulations that must be considered. That is why you need an experienced 18-wheeler accident lawyer by your side to make sure you have someone to represent you and guide you through the process. They can handle much of the legal work while you focus on what matters most— recovery.
If you have been injured in an 18-wheeler accident or are a business owner who needs help setting up safety protocols, contact a qualified 18-wheeler accident lawyer today to discuss your case.